Unfortunately there are no
records of either their proceedings or members, except to say that
seventeen years later Grand Lodge erased it from the roll in 1754.
It is likely that the
brethren of The Old Lodge, moved to the Lodge held in The Angel Inn,
and on its demise either left freemasonry altogether, or found a
Lodge in a nearby town.
The Lincoln Above Hill in
the Baily Wyke”, Lodge was erased in 1754, and the “Old Lodge at
Lincoln” suffered the same fate in 1760.
So there is a gap of thirty three years before we move to the
formation of Witham Lodge.
There is very little preserved in the archive records of Grand
Lodge, about the early founding history of Witham Lodge, and it is
not recorded from where our Founders came. Unfortunately there is no
petition in the Grand Lodge archives for Witham Lodge, and it is
virtually certain that its formation would not have had the formal
recommendation of another lodge.
The membership lists of the Lodge cannot take us back earlier than
3rd October, 1793 (the first entry in the Register of Admissions of
the Witham Lodge).
Witham Lodge has traces in it lineage to The Old Grand Lodge at
York, which ran from 1705 to around 1793. Part of the ritual we use
has the Old York Workings within it; For the first fifty years,
Witham Officers were invested on St. John the Baptist's Day (June
24th). and the two older Lodges in Lincoln. Part of our ritual
includes the Old York Workings (Our ritual there are some clues to
be found in the book “A History of Freemasonry in Lincolnshire” by
On the 23rd September 1793 a warrant of constitution was granted
by the Grand Lodge of England, to the founding brethren,
authorising and empowering them and their regular successors to
hold a lodge of free and accepted masons at The Rein Deer Inn in
the City of Lincoln, as the Witham Lodge No 530.
As a consequence of the
union of the two Grand Lodges on the 27th of December 1813,
Witham Lodge became No 557.
Then during the general
alterations in the numbers of Lodges between 1832 and 1863,
Witham Lodge became No 374 in 1832, and then to its present No
297 in 1863.